Monday, June 6, 2011

DAY 1: SUNDAY - MAY 22, 2001

Arrival in Beijing

Wow! He really let me in.

That's more like it
Wow! Beijing does not look like it is lacking any technology.  We arrived in the new part of the airport with its banners welcoming people in many languages and custom agents with current equipment and not friendly at all.  After getting through customs we met our wonderful host Vivien who had a bus waiting for us.  As we rode into the city it looked like a scene from a movie.  The tall eccentric architecture with digital billboards built in them looked high tech to me.   I do not see them much in Pittsburgh.  The hotel (Royal King) was ok the first room I saw was very nice, but it was not mine.  Then to my room the odor 
Tired but HAPPY!
of rotten meat hit me as soon as I opened the door and the room was smaller than the one I had saw on my way to my room.  Well I requested a room change and got it.  Only this room did not have a king size bed it was a double and not in the greatest condition but the odor was not there when I entered.  I learned that China’s plumbing system was created with mostly straight pipes without any bends in them and that is why the sewage odor comes up through the drains so strong.  So occasionally I would get a little whiff of the odor.  Whew…  Well, I had to hurry up and shower and change to get to our welcome dinner.  The dinner was a delight.  It was a place that represented historical China the servers wore costumes of ancient Chinese garb.  The food was a sample of many Chinese dishes that I had never seen before.  I had many first tries that night.  Then back to the hotel to recoup and get settled and ready for Monday’s packed agenda.

No comments:

Post a Comment